Page 3 of 6
Nutrition Nurse Specialist
- Coordinates Nutrition Support Team with nursing care in general
- Develops safe and practical nursing techniques with respect to nutrition policy through research and audit
- Is a clinical expert in the assessment of nutritional needs and the delivery of treatment.
- Provides advanced technical skills in relation to naso-gastric feeding, Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy, Radiologically Inserted Gastrostomy and Peripherally Inserted Central Catheters.
- Provides specific training in these skills for nurses, patients and carers.
- Contributes to nutrition education in a broader sense – nursing, medical staff and students
- Advises, with others, on nutrition support policy, linking with the Hospital Nutrition Steering Committee to help develop a coordinated strategy, including issues regarding risk management and ethical decision making
- Links with specialist units to foster good nutritional care.
- Advises on and assists in the procurement of equipment
- Out-patient nutritional support – liaison with community nurses, patients and carers
- Maintains records
- Participates in and often leads audit
- Direct patient advocacy and care – out-patient HEN, HPN. Here the role may come to be seen as that of care manager for nutritional support patients.