UK Malnutrition Awareness Week 1st – 7th October 2018.
The first ever UK Malnutrition Awareness Week was the result of a collaboration between BAPEN and the Malnutrition Task Force and was designed to raise awareness of the malnutrition and dehydration in the UK.
Why there is a need to raise awareness
One in ten people aged over 65 in the UK (1.3 million) is malnourished or at risk of malnutrition. Launching on the International Day of Older Persons, the first ever UK Malnutrition Awareness Week sought to raise awareness of the ‘hidden’ problem of malnutrition in older people.
During #MAW2018 we called for members of the public to:
- Be clear that losing weight is not a normal part of ageing
- Look out for elderly relatives, friends and neighbours
- Check their own weight and the weight of elderly people they believe may be at risk using the malnutrition self-screening tool, available at: https://www.malnutritionselfscreening.org/self-screening.html
The campaign also called on all organisations of influence and policy makers to:
- Drive public awareness, deliver better training for professionals
- Increase awareness of the hidden problem of dehydration, improve access to good dentition, and ensure older people have help with eating and drinking when they need it
- Provide more support for older people experiencing the transitions of later life
UK Malnutrition Awareness Week 2018 materials
To help members of the public and community leaders with understanding the risk factors, signs and symptoms and impact of malnutrition, BAPEN and the Malnutrition Task Force developed a range of helpful materials that were made available for the first time during the week. If you can make use of these materials at any time even now the week has passed for this year, please feel free to download them below. All materials are available as a downloadable PDF, a file you can print yourselves, or a print-ready file if you are using a professional printer.
MAW flyers and leaflets for older people
- Understanding the risk of malnutrition as you age (flyer) [PDF] [Print-ready file] [Print at home]
- Advice for older people (leaflet) [PDF] [Print-ready file] [Print at home]
MAW posters for health and social care centres and community groups
- We are supporting MAW poster [PDF] [Print-ready file] [Print at home]
- Be weight loss aware! [PDF] [Print-ready file] [Print at home]
- Have you fallen for the malnutrition myths [PDF] [Print-ready file] [Print at home]
- Online self-screening [PDF] [Print-ready file] [Print at home]
We would like to thank everybody who supported UK Malnutrition Awareness Week 2018. Do please get in touch on social media if you have a story you would like us to tell about how you got involved!
Watch this space for news on UK Malnutrition Awareness Week 2019!