BAPEN's New Nutritional Care Tool
Building on the work undertaken during the Nutrition Screening Weeks, which really helped create a country-wide picture of the prevalence of malnutrition in the UK, BAPEN has developed a new web-based Nutritional Care Tool which will enable us to monitor the effectiveness of our nutritional care plans.
You may have heard us refer to this tool as the; Malnutrition Measurement Tool, The Nutritional Measurement Tool or MUST +. These were various iterations of a working title during the development stages, which we hope hasn’t caused any confusion. The new Tool will actually be called the BAPEN Nutritional Care Tool.
The BAPEN Nutritional Care Tool overview:
- The Tool is free to all NHS and social care organisations.
- Completion takes approximately 5 minutes per individual.
- The data are instantly available to frontline teams to deliver improvements.
- Improvements in nutritional care can be delivered whilst the patient is still in your care
- The Tool is completely voluntary so it is up to you how frequently you use it and the scale of use
Our aim is that Trusts will use this Tool regularly, in the same way that the NHS Safety Thermometer is conducted once a month, and indeed some Trusts have indicated their intention to build data collection in this way. However, we are realistic about time constraints and current demands on organisations and are therefore asking all trusts to commit to collecting data on at least one day during four weeks spread across the year. As such we are planning four separate weeks of data collection nationally, mirroring the approach we took in the national screening weeks. This will enable us to continue to measure seasonal differences and changes over time.
We are planning four new separate weeks of data collection nationally, mirroring the approach we took in the national screening weeks and building on the data we collected for 2015/16. This will enable us to continue to measure seasonal differences and changes over time.
The four weeks selected are:
- Week commencing 12th December 2016
- Week commencing 13th March 2017
- Week commencing 12th June 2017
- Week commencing 11th September 2017
Click here to find out more about the BAPEN Nutritional Care Tool and register to use the tool.