The Nutrition Support Team Pharmacist and the Pharmacy
Pharmacy is the home base of the Nutrition Support Team pharmacist and will provide input to nutritional care of patients via ward pharmacists, procurement and via drug advisory services. The NST pharmacist links patient care with pharmacy aseptic services and external, often industrial, suppliers particularly in the context of parenteral nutrition.
- Assists with pre-admission clinic and ward based identification of nutritionally at risk patients.
- Advises on parenteral nutrition composition and compatibilities
- Makes safe additions to standard parenteral feeds or tailor-makes feeds according to the patient’s individual requirements using aseptic technique according to national policy.
- Ensures that parenteral nutritional solutions are compounded appropriately and are suitable for use. This may be via an in-house aseptic unit or outsourced (pharmacy are responsible for audit of external suppliers).
- Appropriately qualified pharmacists may prescribe parenteral feeds, fluids and other necessary therapy.
- Assists with monitoring of parenteral feeding
- Liaises with home care companies for HPN and patients
- Assists in PCT liaison for funding of HPN and high cost drug therapy
- Assists with audit of PN usage and service
- Contributes to nutrition education
- Advises on drug-nutrient and nutrient-nutrient interactions
- Advises on drug delivery via naso-enteric and enterostomy tubes and unblocking parenteral and enteral nutrition delivery systems.
- Purchase and contract for parenteral (and in some cases, enteral) nutrition products and on local formulary content of nutrition-related products.
- << Prev