The British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (BAPEN) is a charitable organisation whose aim is to raise awareness of malnutrition. We work to advance the nutritional care of patients and those at risk of malnutrition in the wider community, and central to this aim is the Core Groups and membership. In the course of our work we both collect and process personal data, that is, information which identifies a living person, or which can be identified as relating to a living person.
What information do we collect about you?
We only collect and store data on individuals that has been given to us by the individuals themselves. This may be when they register for, or renew, membership of the association, when they apply to attend a course or conference or request to receive information from ourselves.
The data we collect includes:
- Personal details such as name, gender, date of birth, email, home address and telephone numbers
- Professional details such as job title, place of work and professional registration details
- Personal data generated by your involvement with BAPEN, such as membership number, core group membership, committee membership, correspondence relating to your membership
- Financial information is not stored and is only used at the time of membership renewal or conference registration
Legal basis for processing information
As a membership organisation, BAPEN has a legitimate interest to hold personal data in order to support our members and others who work in the field of clinical nutrition to provide the best care and achieve the best outcomes for patients.
How will we use this information about you?
We will use your data when we can identify a clear and legitimate reason that processing your data serves our charitable objectives, and does not harm the interests of data subjects. We use personal data for the following purposes:
- Direct marketing of BAPEN membership, BAPEN events and selected events that we believe are relevant to our membership
- To carry out periodic surveys in order to understand current and future challenges and influence policy.
- To disseminate Information on bursaries, grants and awards which may be of interest to our members
- To allow you to access interactive features of our service such as e-learning modules and to receive BAPEN newsletters
Data storage and Retention
BAPEN will not retain personal data any longer than it needs to in order to fulfil the purpose for which it legitimately holds the data. The following factors are taken into account when deciding how long data will be held for:
- Whether it is necessary to continue to store the data in order to continue to perform our contractual obligations.
- Whether we have any legal obligation to continue to process your information, such as any record-keeping requirements imposed by relevant law or regulation.
- Whether we have any legal basis to continue to process your information, such as your consent or our legitimate interests.
- Any relevant standard practices, or guidance from the regulator on how long information should be retained.
- How confident we can reasonably be that the data is up to date and accurate.
Sharing information with third parties
BAPEN will never sell personal data to a third party. From time to time we may circulate educational material or details of industry events to members on behalf of industry partners, and consent for this is confirmed at each membership renewal. We will only disclose information to third parties or individuals when obliged to by law or if you have agreed that we may for a specific purpose.
From time to time our site may contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you visit any of these sites please note that they have their own privacy policies and you should check these before submitting any personal data. We cannot accept any responsibility or liability for these policies.
BAPEN are committed to honouring the rights of individuals whose data we hold, and we have processes in place to protect such rights and respond quickly to requests from data subjects.
You have a right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you and this request should be addressed to the BAPEN office. You can change your membership details, advise corrections or change your preferences at any point by contacting the BAPEN office, and all membership and marketing emails sent by BAPEN have an unsubscribe link.
How to contact us
BAPEN’s data processing officer is the Honorary Secretary with assistance from the membership officer (membership data) and Chair of the British Artificial Nutrition Survey (BANS) committee (IF Registry data).
The Honorary Secretary
British Association of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
Tel: 01527 457 850
This Policy was last updated in October 2018